Welcome to the 30 Day Mediterranean Diet Challenge!! I am so excited!!
Are you ready to start off the year feeling great?
Well, you are at the right place!
Today I am sending out some preliminary information about the challenge and a shopping list before we officially start on Tuesday. As I noted in the announcement, this challenge is about easing into the year with tips, mini challenges, and gentle nudges. I also will be recommending a main meal for each day.
Mediterranean Diet Principles
Many of you have been here for last year’s challenge so this will act as a reminder for some Mediterranean concepts, but for those who are new to the authentic Mediterranean Diet here are some principles to keep in mind during this challenge:
The Mediterranean diet is the healthiest eating pattern that exists. Hundreds of studies have shown that it can be beneficial for most chronic diseases but also for our mental health. It is important to note that the Mediterranean diet is a diet that naturally appeared in certain parts of world and that is what I will be guiding you through; the authentic Mediterranean diet. It is a bit different from what you might expect. What does that look like?
- There will be generous amounts of extra virgin olive oil. Apart from the numerous benefits, olive oil is what makes everything taste so good. And you will be cooking with it.
- There will be many vegetables. Mediterraneans are known to consume large amounts of vegetables as a side and main course.
- There will be no complex recipes with numerous exotic ingredients. Food and meals are characterized by their simplicity.
- It is not an expensive diet; this diet is in fact based on the diet of people living rural areas and villages.
- You will not be expected to spend hours in the kitchen, but you will be expected to make simple meals and dishes.
- We are here to establish feel-good habits not to follow a strict diet plan.
- You are expected to honor your hunger, you should be eating when you are hungry, but also honoring your fullness. In other words, according to Mediterranean tradition, food is consumed 3 times a day (not every 2 hours). Main meals are consumed when you reach a point where you have a healthy hunger and can enjoy your food.
30 DAY CHALLENGE INFORMATION AND DETAILS
See below for information, details and the shopping list:
- The main meal suggested can be consumed for lunch or dinner. You can change the order of the meals if they suit you, but generally keep the same meals within the week.
- Every day you will be receiving an email with the challenge and meal suggestion for the next day.
- Today you are receiving the shopping list for the main meals up to and including Sunday January 9th.
- From then on, the shopping list for each week will arrive to your inbox on Friday.
- For breakfast you can visit these 2 posts for suggestions:
** Please note the amounts are for 2 people