Olive Pomace Oil Healthier for Indians

A new study from India just goes to show you that even using one ingredient from the Mediterranean diet can have several health benefits. According to a recent study conducted by the Diabetes Foundation India  and the National Diabetes, Obesity & Cholesterol Foundation, Indians with metabolic problems experienced significant health benefits when they used olive pomace oil instead of other oils for their cooking (I reported about it in Olive Oil Times). This shows how incorporating certain components of the Mediterranean diet such as olive oil can provide some benefits. So make that first step today: get rid of all those other cooking oils and use olive oil.

Photo Credit: Sunlit Oil by Brian Caldwell

You Might Also Like


  • Reply nikhil December 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

    Olive Pomace oil does not give any health benefits and its a fact. Its being promoted in India by those who just wish to make money from the highly populated markets. Hope wise Indians wake up to the ‘dump’ being dumped on them. check the link below


  • Reply Elena Paravantes RD December 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm

    Nikhil, Thank you for your comment. The study cited compares olive pomace oil to other oils that contained low levels of monounsaturated fats. Obviously pomace olive oil, apart from the monounsaturated fats does not have the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil.

    • Reply Peter July 15, 2016 at 6:19 pm

      Being honest, those studies proving that pomace oil is almost poisonous are sponsored by Virgin Oil lobby (in Spain & Italy). Common sense is to have both botles (even more oils like sunflower or canola) in your kitchen. Are you preparing salad? Please use the EXTRA extra virgin. Extra virgin used for roasting a steak will destroy the taste of meat. 60% of Extra Virgin unsaturated fatty acids exposed to 500C turns into something with zero health benefits. The other 40% turns into guess-what substances that could be even dangerous. The best analogy is the fresh butter and the ghí. You probably wont spread the ghí on your breakfest toast, but there is good reason why to use it while cooking.

  • Reply Neha December 23, 2012 at 5:59 am

    I m using olive pomace oil does it have any adverse effect on health
    Should I stop using it?? Or is it better than other oils like groundnut and sunflower that we get in the market??

  • Reply Subhashis January 23, 2013 at 6:02 am

    Thanks for the article . Can you pls provide a link / details on the study conducted by the Diabetes Foundation India and the National Diabetes, Obesity & Cholesterol Foundation . This will be useful as I would like to switch over to olive pomace for daily consumption .

    • Reply manoj July 24, 2013 at 3:48 pm

      Nikhil has rightly said that some people want to take advatage of innocent huge population and trying to push olive pomace oil which has nothing infact it is extracted from pulp of olive by solvent which is cancer causing and spain has banned this product.

  • Reply Vikas September 2, 2013 at 8:53 am

    I m using olive pomace oil does it have any adverse effect on health
    Should I stop using it?? Or is it better than other oils like groundnut and sunflower that we get in the market??

    • Reply Elena Paravantes RD September 3, 2013 at 3:56 pm

      Olive pomace oil does not contain the antioxidants of regular olive oil and as a result not the health benefits either. The study is basically showing how it is a better alternative to oils that are not high in monounsaturated fats. Sunflower oil is not high in the good monounsaturated fats.

  • Reply Bhavesh October 20, 2013 at 5:13 am


    Elena Paravantes RD claims that pomace oil is healthy for Indians quoted in olive times also as she claims then please go to the url given here and one would learn that it is highly carcinogenic a potential threat of cancer.

    • Reply Elena Paravantes RD October 21, 2013 at 2:58 am

      Thank you for your comment Bhavesh. I do not claim that pomace olive oil is healthy, I am reporting a study that showed that it was health-ier than other oils that were used.

  • Reply Taanya November 23, 2014 at 12:08 am

    Name the “other oils” that this was compared with.

    • Reply Elena Paravantes RD November 23, 2014 at 6:47 am

      The details of the study including the oils used can be found in the link I have provided in the post.

    Leave a Reply