Greek Style Peas-Arakas Latheros

July 13, 2015

Today I am sharing a favorite, traditional Greek recipe. Another lathero. This one is called arakas latheros, translated as peas cooked in olive oil. Not only is it easy to make, but it is also a comfort food: cooked vegetables in a rich olive oil-tomato sauce, accompanied with tangy feta and good bread to dip in the yummy juices.

I feel peas are an underestimated food, usually served on the side plainly boiled with a lump of butter on them. However, in Greek cuisine we cook them in olive oil and tomato, along with dill. We also add carrots and potatoes-(today I added only carrots as I did not have any potatoes). This meal of course, is accompanied by feta and bread. Again this is a vegetable based main meal that is characteristic of the Greek diet, not a side dish. So in essence you fulfill almost all your vegetable needs of the day, in just one meal.

Peas although a starchy vegetable, are a good source of protein. Peas are actually considered a legume. Apart from protein it is a great source of fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin C, folate, but also a good source of iron and calcium. In addition peas have high antioxidant activity due to the presence of beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin.

This dish, as with all lathera is consumed at room temperature and tastes better the next day.

Greek Style Peas-Arakas Latheros

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Cooked peas in a rich olive oil-tomato sauce, accompanied with tangy feta and good bread to dip in the yummy juices.
Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Greek, Mediterranean
Author: Elena Paravantes
Print Recipe Pin Recipe

Ingredients

Instructions

• Heat olive oil in a medium sized pot.
  • Sauté onions until soft. Add carrots and potatoes and sauté 3-4 minutes more.
  • Add peas and heat and mix until all peas are covered in the olive oil.
  • Add the tomato, dill, pepper and a half teaspoon salt. Add enough hot water so that the peas are covered just a bit (about ¼ cup).
  • Mix well and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until peas are soft and water is gone-they should only be left with the olive oil.
  • Serve at room temperature with feta and bread. Add salt as needed.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Leave a comment or share on instagram and mention @greekdiet
Photo by Elena Paravantes

You Might Also Like

81 Comments

• Reply Tabitha December 6, 2018 at 4:52 pm

This was delicious! We have made several of your recipes and loved them all, but simple peas and carrots with all that fresh dill and feta might be my new favorite. Thank you very much for everything you take the time to provide on this site! It is wonderful.

• Reply Pam G November 2, 2018 at 8:40 pm

I just stumbled upon your site and I’m so glad! This is the first dish I’ve tried. Made it today for lunch and it was soooo delicious. And it was easy! Thank you so much for these recipes and for sharing your knowledge.

• Reply Anesta Engelbrecht October 3, 2018 at 11:59 am

Hi, The recipe does not mention peas, only lentils 🙂 Do I just substitute the lentils for peas? Or am I reading it wrong?

• Reply Elena Paravantes RDN October 3, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Hi Anesta. Apologies, we have been updating our recipe format and must have put the lentil recipe instead. It is corrected now.

• Reply Anesta October 11, 2018 at 11:52 am

No problem. Thanks 😀

• Reply Angelica April 29, 2018 at 7:04 pm

This was delicious! My 13 year old son devoured it and said it was the best new recipe I’ve made in a long time. Huge complement!

• Reply Elena Paravantes RDN May 10, 2018 at 7:00 am

Thank you for sharing Angelica! That makes me happy when children love the recipes

• Reply Stefanie Papasoglu January 12, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Thank you so much for this quick, tasty recipe! I’m so happy that I found your site – I plan to make many more of your recipes from now on.

• Reply Lindi December 2, 2017 at 6:25 pm

I am loving all of your traditonal Greek recipes . I have always love Greek food, for now there are 3 good reasons the 10 dishes you have shown us here are very appealing , colourful therefore appealing to the eye, inexpensive when you are on a pension like me is great, for me these are staples in my dry pantry…

• Reply Elena Paravantes RDN December 6, 2017 at 7:25 am

Thank you for sharing Lindi. Yes, the Greek/Mediterranean diet is simple yet colorful and inexpensive.

• Reply debby May 19, 2016 at 4:10 pm

if you use can tomatoes, do you drain them or use the liquid?

• Reply Maria February 21, 2016 at 10:58 pm

I have made this dish several times and every time I am amazed as to how tasty and satisfying this dish is.

• Reply Jillian November 3, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Just made this dish tonight. I’ve been eyeing it for a while and it’s delicious! Very easy too. I’ll be bringing some for my lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply Anita Tsarbos October 13, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Hi Elena,
    Please could you setle an argument?
    I am married to an Athenian who insists that aracas are not peas ie bizelia (in Greek) .
    Peas or aracas it’s still a great dish!!
    Anita Tsarbos

• Reply Trudee Lunden July 22, 2015 at 4:47 am

This looks delish only my partner has a problem with oil so I will try it with less oil. I bet this would taste good with green beans too! 🙂

• Reply Elena Paravantes RDN July 22, 2015 at 6:00 am

Thanks Trudee, Try not to go below 1/4 cup for every pound of vegetables.

• Reply S July 19, 2015 at 7:23 pm

This looks so tasty!!

I was wondering what your opinion of a low carb diet is? They seem to be getting a lot of good press at the moment, but the world’s best diet – Greek – isn’t low carb, so I get a bit confused with it all!!

• Reply Elena Paravantes RDN July 21, 2015 at 8:09 am

The Greek diet is actually a moderate carb diet. Greeks do not eat as much pasta and most dishes are vegetable based. Sticking to mostly whole-grain bread is a good idea.

• Reply Joan July 15, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Hi, Elena. This sounds lovely. My problem is that I have never like the taste of dill. Is there a different herb that would work well with this dish please ? Many thanks for your help.

• Reply Elena Paravantes RDN July 21, 2015 at 8:11 am

Dill and peas is the classic-traditional combo. But you can add parsley instead.

• Reply Mak November 23, 2015 at 3:41 am

I was never much of a fan of dill either. But with peas, this is one of the only dishes I love that uses dill.

• Reply Pamela Fiddimore July 14, 2015 at 8:56 am

what a lovely economical recipe

• Reply Katina Vaselopulos July 14, 2015 at 1:33 am

One of our favorite main dishes!Filled with wonderful nutrients!
    We buy frozen petite peas, cook them the same way, and serve them as lunch or dinner every other week. Tender and succulant!

• 1 2 3