These are known as biscotti morbidi ricotta e limone and they are so light and aromatic! These traditional Italian ricotta and lemon cookies are fragrant with a delicate lemon flavor and a soft texture on the inside and do not contain butter or oil.
Today I’m sharing this fantastic traditional Italian recipe, these cookies have a light and delicate lemon flavor and the texture on the inside is soft and fluffy, almost like a cake. You may have seen recipes of this cookie with plenty of butter but the majority of real, authentic Italian recipes for this cookie do not contain butter, resulting in a light and fluffy cookie.
These are great as a treat and they are not too sweet, and so easy to make, they are ready in under 30 minutes! Each of these are 80 calories and only 7% of calories come from the fat. As there is no additional fat in this recipe, I would not recommend using reduced fat ricotta.
How to Make Traditional Italian Lemon and Ricotta Cookies
In a medium bowl mix the flour and baking powder and set aside.
In a large bowl add the ricotta, lemon zest and sugar. Smash with a fork and mix with a spatula until you a smooth mixture.
Add the egg and lemon juice and mix until well combined.
Add the flour in 2 doses and blend until your dough is solid (don’t overwork the dough, otherwise the cookies will be tough). If dough is too soft, add a bit more flour.
Form into small balls, about a tablespoon each. You can add either water or dough to your fingers for easier handling.
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let them cool completely.
Once cool sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Ready to serve!
Authentic Italian Lemon and Ricotta Cookies (no butter)
- 8 ounces (250 g or about 1 ¾ cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 ⅔ tsp (8 g) baking powder
- 8 ounces (250 g) ricotta cheese well strained
- 1 medium egg
- 6 ounces (150 g) sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven at 330 F (170 C)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour and baking powder, mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the ricotta, lemon zest and sugar. Smash with a fork and mix with a spatula until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the egg and lemon juice and mix until well combined.
- Add the flour in 2 doses and blend until your dough is solid (do not overwork the dough, otherwise the cookies will be tough). If the dough is too soft, you can a bit of flour accordingly.
- Form into small balls, about a tablespoon each and place on the baking sheet (about 25 cookies). You can add either add water or dough to your fingers for easier handling.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let them cool completely.
- Once cool sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Photos by Elena Paravantes © All Rights Reserved