I have to admit that the idea of cauliflower rice did not appeal to me, it just seemed bland, in addition to that, I am not a fan of masquerading one food as another. I love rice and pasta, and they have their place in the mediterranean diet, I don’t need to stop eating them, they are just fine. However, this “rice” was interesting to me because it was a different way of preparing vegetables, but it needed the Greek touch; What if I cooked it with some onion, tomato paste and a few spices? Now that sounds good. So here it is. Basically a different version of the traditional Greek braised cauliflower. With a sprinkle of crumbled feta and a drizzle of olive oil, this was exactly how I imagined it: moist, flavorful and healthy.
Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice with Feta
- Process the cauliflower in a food processor until cauliflower resembles couscous, you may need to do this in 3-4 batches.
- In a deep pan, heat the onion on medium heat, add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the cauliflower rice, cinnamon stick, allspice, cloves, pepper and ½ teaspoon salt and stir.
- Mix with the tomato paste with about 1 tablespoon of water and add the the cauliflower and mix well so that the cauliflower has a red color.
- Continue to sauté for 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve with a sprinkle of crumbled feta and a drizzle of olive oil.