Marinated feta and Kalamata olives stuffed into a warm, fluffy and crispy baked potato makes these Mediterranean Stuffed Baked potatoes a perfect meal.
Potatoes are an important part of the Mediterranean diet; any type of roasted meat is typically accompanied by those yummy roasted potatoes. You also see potatoes added to vegetable dishes to provide sustenance to an otherwise light meal. And of course, a tavern favorite are the Greek fried potatoes (Patates Tiganites), homemade cut potatoes fried in olive oil. Not so unhealthy since they are fried in olive oil, we do order them at the tavern to share once in a while (pre-quarantine days).
Although baked potatoes are not a traditional preparation, potatoes and feta are. I love the combination of flavors: tangy, salty feta along with warm potato flesh. For this recipe, I made a topping with tangy feta cheese and Kalamata olives. It was delicious. The feta is lightly marinated with herbs and garlic which makes all the difference.
This is a substantial enough serving to be consumed as a meal along with either a leafy green salad or if you have good tomatoes, a tomato-cucumber salad. You can of course serve it as side.
How to Bake a Potato
- Use a starchy or all-purpose potato.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)
- Scrub potatoes and dry well, using paper towels
- Coat them with a bit of olive oil. Note: I do not add any salt as the feta and olives have salt.
- Pierce them with a fork a few times
- Place them on a pan and bake for about 60 minutes.
How to Make Herb Marinated Feta
Prepare the herbs you will use. I used fresh mint, fresh oregano and dry oregano as I had some growing on my terrace, but you can also use basil and dill. I also added a garlic clove cut in in four that I removed before adding the topping to the potatoes, but you can use minced garlic if you prefer a more garlicky flavor. Add the herbs to the crumbled feta and mix well.
Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and mix well. The feta will absorb the olive oil.
When crumbling the feta with a fork you want to do it in a way so that you still have chunks, you do not want it to be a paste. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
Assemble the Potatoes
Once the potatoes are ready, slice midway lengthwise and push the ends to spread the potato. Fluff with a fork. Add ½ tsp olive oil and then add ¼ of the marinated feta and 4 sliced kalamata olives.
Mediterranean Stuffed Baked Potatoes with Marinated Feta and Kalamata Olives
For the Baked potatoes
- 4 Medium potatoes
- 1 tsp of olive oil for coating potatoes
For the Marinated Feta
- Preheat oven at 350 F (180 C)
- In a bowl roughly crumble the feta with a fork so that you still have chunks, you do not want it to be a paste.
- Add the herbs, garlic and olive oil and mix. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- Coat the potatoes with olive oil (about ¼ tsp for each), pierce them with the fork and bake for 1 hour.
- When potatoes are ready place them on a plate or latter, slice midway lengthwise and push the ends to spread the potato. Fluff with a fork.
- Drizzle in each one ¼ tsp olive oil, and then stuff with ¼ of the feta mixture (remove garlic if not minced). Top each potato with 4 sliced Kalamata olives.
PIN IT AND SAVE FOR LATER!
Photos by Elena Paravantes © All Rights Reserved