A delicious and hearty salad made with beets, tangerines, greens, and walnuts. Crispy, filling and flavorful with the addition of the tangy crumbled feta and the citrus vinaigrette.
Beets are loved in the Mediterranean. We not only eat the beet bulb but also the greens, warm and drizzled with olive oil. One of my favorite appetizers when I’m out at a Greek tavern is beets, beet greens and skordalia (the famous Greek garlic dip/sauce). Yum!
Citrus fruit is another loved food. In the winter especially, oranges and mandarins are our go-to fruit. Analysis of the traditional Mediterranean diet has shown that citrus fruit are an important source of antioxidants of the diet. Plus they are great source of vitamin C. Just make sure you eat them whole rather than as juice.
Today I am making a salad that combines the two!. This beet salad is delicious! A delicious and hearty salad made with beets, tangerines, greens, and walnuts. Crispy, filling and flavorful with the addition of the tangy crumbled feta and the citrus vinaigrette. The textures and flavors meld beautifully together making a satisfying and gorgeous salad. And it is loaded with potent antioxidants and vitamins too!
How to Make Mediterranean Beet Salad
You want to start preparing your beets
There are 2 ways:
Boil: Place beets in a pot, fill with enough water to cover, over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until tender.
Roast: Preheat oven at 400 F (200 C). Wrap the beet bulbs in aluminum foil, place on a pan and roast for about an hour. Remove and unwrap and let them cool.
*I also always keep on hand steamed beets that are vacuum packed and stored in the refrigerator. They have no other ingredients and so it’s a convenient way to add some beets to your meal.
Prepare the citrus vinaigrette
For this vinaigrette you take juice from four tangerines plus a pinch of sugar and simmer and reduce in a small pan until you are left with about 2 tablespoon for about 8-10 minutes. Place in small bowl and let it cool.
Empty the reduced tangerine juice in a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, the mustard and mix, whisk in the olive oil until dressing thickens. You can also mix everything in a jar and shake it.
Prepare beets and tangerines
You want to slice them in circular shapes and set aside.
Prepare your additional ingredients.
Chopped walnuts and crumbled feta.
Put together the salad
Place 2-3 handfuls of greens, layer on top the tangerines and beets and then sprinkle with feta and chopped walnuts and drizzle the dressing. This recipe makes 2 large hearty salads, but you can mix all of it together and serve as a side salad for 4 people.
Craving more Mediterranean, healthy recipes? I think you’ll love my cookbook! And here are a few more options on the blog:
- Mediterranean Spinach Salad with Feta and White Beans
- Panzanella – Tuscan Tomato and Bread Salad
- Simple Greek Style Beet Salad
- Cretan Avocado and Orange Salad
Mediterranean Beet Salad with Tangerines, Greens and Feta
For the Citrus Vinaigrette
- Juice of 4 tangerines do not peel the tangerines
- A pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- A pinch of salt
- Black pepper
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
For the Citrus Vinaigrette
- Juice 4 tangerines (do not peel before juicing) and strain. Place in a small saucepan with a pinch of sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat for a strong simmer and cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 8-10 minutes. Let it cool.
- Empty the reduced tangerine juice in a small bowl, add a 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, a pinch of salt a bit of fresh black pepper and the mustard and mix, whisk in the olive oil until dressing thickens. You can also mix everything in a jar.
For the Salad
- Place 2 plates on your work area.
- On each plate place a bed of greens (about 1 ½ cup).
- Layer over alternating the beets and tangerine rounds.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the dressing and then sprinkle over the feta and walnuts and drizzle the other 2 tbsp. Toss gently before serving.
- Repeat for the other plate/serving