Dairy free, Ingredients, Mediterranean Diet Recipes, Savory Pies - Pites, Vegan, Vegetarian

Easy Greek Olive Oil Homemade Crust – Phyllo

crust-homemade phylloMost home cooks in Greece did not use the store bought thin sheets of phyllo, but they made their own, called horiatiko phyllo (village phyllo). A thick, crunchy phyllo made with olive oil. It is not an exact recipe, many cooks provide directions that are usually vague as everybody has their own recipe, which they have perfected. I have managed to figure out almost exact amounts for a great result.

This phyllo can be used for almost all pites (Greek pies) that one makes in a pan. There is no butter, so it is a crust that can be used in vegan recipes as well. Make sure the olive oil you use is fresh, stale olive oil will give off a bad flavor. I also add varying amounts of whole wheat flour, for a different texture and added fiber.

Easy Greek Homemade Traditional Phyllo

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Resting time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
This traditional crust or phyllo, made with olive oil does not disappoint. Crunchy, hearty, a perfect crust for any pie.
Course: crusts, pies
Cuisine: Greek, Mediterranean
Keyword: dough, homemade, oliveoil, phyllo, Recipe
Servings: 1 pie
Author: Elena Paravantes RDN
Print Recipe Pin Recipe

Ingredients

• 2 cups flour (I used about ¼ cup whole wheat flour and the rest white)
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • ½ cup warm water

Instructions

• In a bowl add the flour and add the salt and mix.
  • Make a whole in the middle and the add the olive oil and vinegar.
  • Mix the dough with a wooden spoon , until the liquids have been absorbed. It will be dry and crumbly.
  • Add some warm water and knead with your hands, add enough so that the dough is soft but not sticky. Knead until smooth.
  • Separate the dough in two pieces and roll into balls. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
  • On a well floured surface, roll out the two balls, with a thin rolling pin, in large circles so that they are large enough to cover the base of the pan and hang over the sides.
  • Roll dough partially around the pin and place over your pan, gently. Brush with olive oil.
  • Place your filling.
  • Cover with second phyllo and join both phyllo sheets together twisting round the pan so it forms a border.
  • Brush with olive oil.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Leave a comment or share on instagram and mention @greekdiet

You Might Also Like

40 Comments

• Reply Greek Leek Pie with Homemade Phyllo-Prasopita | Olive Tomato December 11, 2015 at 8:02 am

[…] thick, tasty with a rich olive oil taste. For the dough you can follow my easy homemade phyllo recipe. Otherwise if you use the thin phyllo sheets, make sure you don’t overload […]

• Reply Sherry December 13, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Elena, this looks like I could give it a try. I’ll figure something out for the rolling pin. Is the kneading just till it comes together or for a while? (I made my first spanakopita with phyllo a few days ago!)

• Reply Elena Paravantes RD December 14, 2015 at 7:02 am

Wonderful! For the kneading it was at most 5 minutes.

• Reply Katina Vaselopulos December 15, 2015 at 4:29 am

Looks and sounds great!
    I will definitely try it!

• Reply Catherine February 28, 2016 at 10:25 pm

This was much easier than expected – and it turned out great! I was able to transform leftover beet greens and onion (from a beet/feta/mint salad) into a filling dish that my sister called a good housekeeping cover photo. As is usual for this site, it was easy, healthy, and delicious – thank you for posting!

• Reply Susie March 1, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Sounds lovely. Do you have any suggestions for a filling ? I’d like to make this tomorrow for my husband & I

• Reply niki March 1, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I love it, it’s perfect with spinach and feta filling. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply karl March 1, 2016 at 11:35 pm

wow, sounds and looks too easy to make, lol. I thought phyllo was hard to make but this makes me want to try to make it (maybe because is so fragile to handle). I see a phyllo pie in the near future! thanks for this

• Reply karl March 1, 2016 at 11:53 pm

one question…? so this will yield to a 9 inch round pie then, from picture above?

• Reply Elena Paravantes RD March 2, 2016 at 6:14 am

Hi Karl, Yes you will have 2 pieces with this recipe for a 9 inch pan.

• Reply Linda March 2, 2016 at 7:44 am

Sorry but in all my years in Greece, I never saw anyone, village or city, make a two phyllo pie of any sort, unless you count puff pastry. I’ve only seen with multiple layers.

• Reply Maria Elladara March 2, 2016 at 1:36 pm

This pita is made all over Greece. I’m surprised (and sad for you because it’s DELICIOUS) if you’ve never seen this, especially since you mentioned that you’ve spent years there. Kali oreksi!

• Reply Benazir March 26, 2016 at 12:17 am

I don’t normally write comments or reviews, but this post certainly deserves one! This is not only really easy to make, but it turns out beautifully. And as a vegan who loves to bake, I have been searching for an olive oil based tart/pie crust recipe, and this fits the bill wonderfully. I have tried several others that were either really difficult to make, or turned out very tough and hard. Thank you so much for this!!!

• Reply Elena Paravantes RD March 29, 2016 at 4:53 am

Thank you for sharing Benazir! Always a pleasure to hear when someone is pleased with the recipes.

• Reply Pauline September 19, 2016 at 8:48 pm

I’m in Greece now and I wonder if I will be able to find, to buy, a thin rolling pin to take back to U-S-A. I will be leaving Oct 30. Hope to hear from you on this. Thank you, Pauline Ellott

• Reply Harriet October 17, 2020 at 5:33 pm

This recipe reminds me of how my yiayia used to make spanakopita and other pitas. I’m so happy I found it! It is delicious. I always make double and freeze the other half of dough for the next time. Thank you!!5 stars

• Reply Paris October 13, 2016 at 11:19 pm

How long does the dough keep when made in advance? Thanks!

• Reply Elena October 26, 2016 at 8:54 am

It’s good to use within 2 days

• Reply I·ATE: Say “cheese”: discover Bulgarian “banitza” and Greek “tyropita” - Terminology Coordination Unit [DGTRAD] - European Parliament April 29, 2017 at 10:44 am

[…] general, all these recipes include phyllo pastry with cheese in layers often combined with additional layers of various other fillings, like […]

• Reply William Luscombe June 8, 2017 at 10:58 am

Is it possible to use Spelt flour and also gluten free flours?

• Reply Elena June 22, 2017 at 6:03 am

I have not used it, so I’m not sure what the end result would be.

• Reply Easy Pita Bread Greek Cheese Pie - Tiropita | Olive Tomato August 4, 2017 at 10:29 am

[…] flour and starch (no fats) or I may make my own thick phyllo (crust) made with olive oil using this easy recipe. When we have cheese pie (tiropita), I’ll usually combine it with a salad and that’s a complete […]

• 1 2