Nowadays it is very difficult to find a chip or cracker in the supermarket that doesn’t contain palm oil and a bunch of other not so great ingredients, so why not make your own chips? These are very easy to make and only require a few minutes to prepare.
I use regular phyllo (make sure the phyllo you buy does not contain any added fat), along with olive oil, grated cheese and herbs if you like. These are great as a snack on their own or you can serve them as an appetizer with one of the many popular Greek dips such as tzatziki, taramosalata, melitzanosalata.
3 Ingredient Baked Phyllo Chips
- 4 phyllo sheets defrosted if you buy frozen
- Olive oil for brushing
- Grated cheese
- Dry herbs optional
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 C)
- Place a phyllo sheet on the surface you will be working on.
- Brush generously with olive oil, sprinkle with a bit of grated cheese and herbs. Place a second sheet of phyllo on top of the first one, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with grated cheese and herbs
- Continue the layering process with 2 more sheets, finishing with a sprinkle of grated cheese and some freshly ground pepper.
- Cut in pieces using a pizza wheel (cutter).
- Using a spatula place each piece on a pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 6-8 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven. Once cool store in an air tight container.
Photo by Elena Paravantes© All Rights Reserved
Elena, you are going to love this one…I made the pita chips using grated feta, kasseri and kefaloryri and chopped it more after grating and added mint and oregano. After taking out of the oven to cool, I left the kichen….when I returned…they were all gone!!!! All I had was the smells of the kitchen… lesson learned, after laughing…triple the recipe next time!!! They were a gigantic hit!!!!
Nice additions Konstantina! Thank you for sharing!
what can I do gluten free? Thanks
Excellent! I used Grated Parmesan, Sharp Cheddar and a little Mozzarella. I know this is more than the recipe, but these are the cheeses I had on hand. I placed one type of cheese on each layer. They were so fantastic. I sprinkled a little Penzey’s Seasoned Salt to give it a zing, too.
How do I find out how many calories are in a serving? It says it makes 2-3 cups is that a serving size?
Hi Becca, 2-3 cups is the total amount that this recipe makes.
do u layer the 3 sheets then cut?
Hi Aida, Yes, you should have 4 sheets though, not 3. Updated to clarify that.
My phyllo chips did not puff up.
What did I do wrong?
It is my first time working with phyllo dough
Hi Suzanne, You need to brush them with enough olive oil.
What kind of herbs would be good in this recipe?
dry oregano, mint or basil would work well
Hi Elena – these were fantastic! Thanks for the recipe. Can you explain what is the problem with palm oil please? Thank you!
Aside from palm oil not being part of a Mediterranean diet, the production of it is very destructive to the environment
What kind of cheese do you use in this recipe?
I used a combination of graviera and parmesan