Chicken has an important role on the Mediterranean table, it was a more accessible meat and traditionally consumed once a week. And while some people consider chicken a bit boring, in the Greek kitchen it is transformed. Cooked with herbs or in sauces it is a family favorite. Usually we will make it the classic way: roasted with lemon and oregano with potatoes or my favorite: kotopoulo kokkinisto, which is chicken stewed in a pot with tomato and herbs and served with pasta or rice. But some days, especially weekdays, time is limited and I need to make something that takes little time to prepare and easy to take with you for lunch the next day and this recipe is perfect for that. These baked honey lemon chicken legs only takes a few minutes to prepare and then they go straight to the oven.
I generally prefer chicken legs because they are easier to handle, kids love them and they combine both white and brown meat, plus they are cheaper than the popular skinless boneless chicken breasts. However, I have also made this recipe using the breasts and it results in a moist, flavorful meal as well. The ingredients are simple, found in any Mediterranean kitchen, or really any kitchen. The result is juicy meat with a crispy skin. You can combine this with a salad or any vegetable you have on hand. I add a bit of garlic, by tucking a small piece under each leg. You can remove the skin if you want to save some calories and fat.
This recipe may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, which means that I’ll earn a small commission if you purchase through these links (at no cost to you).
5 Ingredient Glazed Honey Lemon Chicken Legs
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 Celsius)
- Wash the chicken and dry with paper towels.
- Rub in salt and pepper. Set aside
- In a small pan heat the lemon, the olive oil and the honey with some pepper for a few minutes.
- Place the chicken legs in a pan so that all chicken is close together in one layer, drizzle with the honey-lemon mixture. Mix so that the mixture has covered all the chicken pieces.
- Place a small garlic piece under each chicken leg. Put in oven.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside. You may pass it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to get it crispy.
- Pour leftover honey mixture from the pan, in a small sauce pan and simmer (low heat) while stirring for about 5 minutes, until mixture reduces to about half (it will be thick).
- Pour sauce on top of chicken and serve
Fahrenheit (74 Celsius). *If they have not browned on top, you can pass them under the broiler to get the crispy skin.
Photos by Elena Paravantes © All Rights Reserved