This delicious Mediterranean toast is topped with refreshing and tangy whipped feta, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, kalamata olives and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
This recipe /meal/ snack has been something I’ve been making on the fly for years. Whenever I want something quick and tasty, especially in the summer when tomatoes are in season this is what I make.
Whole grain toast topped with this wonderful, whipped feta and plenty of tomatoes is so satisfying and delicious!
The whipped feta is mostly yogurt, in other words I use about double the amount of yogurt than feta resulting in a light a fluffy spread. It’s been inspired by the popular Greek Spicy Whipped Feta Cheese – Tirokafteri which is a delicious dip with some spiciness to it that is served in taverns all over Greece.
Mediterranean Feta Toast Ingredients
- Feta: I’ve mentioned feta, Greece’s national cheese is a protected product in Europe, in other words real feta is considered feta only when it is made in Greece from sheep’s milk or a combination sheep’s and goat milk. Having said that if you are outside of Europe, you will find feta from other countries. If you are not able to find Greek feta, try at least to get this type of cheese that is made from sheep’s milk. Unfortunately, there are many brands out there that label their product feta and is made with cow’s milk, resulting in a different flavor and texture. For more information read this post: 6 Insider Tips for Buying Feta Cheese
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt basically refers to strained yogurt. I use low fat here. You want to make sure that the yogurt is truly strained and does not contain fillers or gelatin that make it artificially thick. I have a guide here: Choosing and eating Greek yogurt
- Oregano: Dry oregano is a necessity here and it pairs perfectly the whipped feta.
- Extra virgin olive oil. The olive oil is what makes this meal just a touch richer and satisfying.
- Bread: I choose 100% whole grain bread. There is a bakery where I live that makes this bread and it only contains flour, yeast and salt. Nothing else. You can also use whole grain crispbread, it won’t be exactly a “toast”, but the concept is the same.
- Fresh vegetables: The vegetable can vary depending on the season, but tomatoes are the perfect accompaniment to whipped feta. Other great ideas include peppers, cucumbers, onion, zucchini, any variety of greens.
- Tasty additions: I like to add a few kalamata olives, capers and sundried tomatoes for added flavor. You can rinse these to remove some of the salt.
You may also like these recipes
Mediterranean Feta Toast
- 1 ounce (30 g) feta
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling
- A pinch of dry oregano
- Ground black pepper
- 1 slice hearty whole grain bread about 2 ounces (60 g)
- 6 cherry tomatoes sliced
- ½ green bell pepper chopped in small pieces
- 2 sundried tomatoes chopped
- 4-5 kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- 2 tsp capers
- Place the feta in a small plate add the Greek yogurt and mash with a fork, add the olive oil, oregano and black pepper and mash until somewhat smooth, set aside.
- Toast the bread. Once bread is toast spread the whipped feta-yogurt on the bread, top with tomatoes, peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers and sprinkle a bit more oregano.
- Drizzle with a bit of olive oil before serving.
PIN IT AND SAVE IT FOR LATER!
Photos by Elena Paravantes © All Rights Reserved