Last Friday I appeared again on the Greek cooking show Chef On Air (Chef ston aera), this time to cook some gluten free recipes. (You can see it here, but it’s all in Greek)
My philosophy is that a healthy diet or a diet with certain dietary restrictions doesn’t have to be bland or boring, which is I why I believe cooking is so important.
So, I cooked 2 recipes that were Mediterranean inspired: plenty of vegetables and tomatoes and a dessert that was not so Mediterranean (flourless brownies).
One of my recipes, which I actually make often at home, even though I don’t avoid gluten, is the flourless spinach quiche. Having a French mother in law I have enjoyed her delicious quiches, but sometimes I do try to avoid the crust for the obvious reasons.
This crustless gluten free quiche has plenty of vegetables, some Greek cheese, milk and a bit of cream and eggs. The one I made on the show had spinach and mushrooms, but I use any vegetables that are in season. And because it kind of looks like pizza, my son loves it and I find an easy way to offer him vegetables. And if you are worried about calories, you will be happy to know that 1 piece (1/8 of pie) of this quiche will only set you back about 150 calories.
Mediterranean Crustless Gluten-Free Quiche
- 7 ounces fresh spinach if you use frozen use about 1 cup
- 7 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes cut into very thin slices
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated soft cheese I use the Greek cheese kasseri but you can use swiss or cheddar
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F (180 C)
- Brush a 9-inch quiche pan with a bit of olive oil
- Heat the spinach in a pot until it shrinks for about 3-4 minutes. Strain and squeeze well. Let it cool and then chop.
- In a pan heat some olive oil and sauté the mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and garlic sauté for another 2 minutes. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and then add the cream and milk and mix well.
- Spread the vegetables on the bottom of the quiche pan. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and then pour over the egg mixture. Place on top the tomato slices.
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
When is the garlic clove used?
It is sautéed after the mushrooms. Just corrected it on the post, thanks!
While planning my meals for this week, I discovered your website.
In the process of making this right now. substituted greek yogurt for the heavy cream – I hope it turns out well.
Thank you for the healthy recipes! Please keep them coming.
Thanks Kerry! Let me know how it turns out.
Hello Helena and thank you for this crustless quiche recipe and for your great site! Is there any way to replace the cream and milk with something else and what please? I hate both cream and milk (as well as butter but like the texture that they give to the quiche. Any ideas for a replacement would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Thanks Fallya! Perhaps you can use soy or rice milk. For the cream you may be able to not use at all or try Greek style yogurt.
Thank you Elana, great ideas, I will do; I love Greek yogurt!
Thanks for the link to Chef ston Aera. My wife’s mother is Greek and we are in the process of learning the language, in anticipation of moving to Greece in the next couple of years.